Get out your calendar and let’s start planning your move:
Two Months Before Moving Day:
- Obtain estimates from at least four moving companies.
- Sketch out a floor plan of your new residence to ascertain where to place furniture and appliances.
- Begin to make an inventory of all items being moved and decide which items you will sell in your yard sale.
- Start a file for all of your moving related paperwork such as estimates, receipts, etc. · Arrange to transfer school records if necessary.
- Choose a mover and place a deposit with that company.
Six Weeks Before Moving Day
- Fill out change of address cards from the local post office or go online for the same.
- If necessary, make arrangements for storage.
- Ask doctors, etc., for referrals and obtain all medical records.
- Have antiques, pieces of art, and other valuables appraised and photographed.
- Clean all closets and drawers.
- To save money, start using all foods and cleaning supplies that cannot be moved.
Four Weeks Before Moving Day