Whether using a qualified moving company or trying to move the pool table yourself, use our valuable resources at LocalMovers.com to educate yourself and plan carefully your packing, loading and the entire moving process so that your move is stress free.
Moving a pool table is best left to the professional because of the size and complexity of disassembly and reassembly at destination. Not only are pool tables very heavy but the slate must be properly protected to prevent damage during transit. A full size 9’ pool table with a ¾” or 1” slate base will need to have the slate base which comes in three pieces crated. If the slate base is simply wrapped in furniture padding and put down flat on the bed of the truck it will probably crack while the truck is in motion. The slate must be stood on its side lengthwise to prevent cracking and so to prevent this cracking in the slate base it is wise to have it crated so that during transit it is properly protected.
During disassembly at your home the felt will usually become torn so that it will be necessary to put on new felt at your new residence; at least this gives you a chance to pick out a different color from the usual stale green. Today pool table felt comes in a wide variety of colors which gives you the opportunity to color coordinate your pool table with furnishings and colors in your new homes.
The third reason to hire a professional moving company to move your pool table will be the essential requirement that the pool table will need careful leveling once it is reassembled in your new home. A professional pool table mover will use a level to ascertain whether or not the pool table is level. A machinist level is the best to use while composite wood shims are best used as they will not absorb moisture and compress like regular wood shims.
Here are some fun facts about the game of pool:
- Tom Cruise did his own trick shots in the 1986 move The Color of Money except for one shot which would have delayed production for several days if he had learned the shot himself.
- In Thomas Jefferson’s home a pool table is hidden in the dome because billiards was illegal in Virginia at that time.
- Billiards was the first sport to have a world championship in 1873.
- In 1586, the castle of Mary, Queen of Scots, was invaded and she was brutally killed. The invaders covered her body with the cloth removed from her billiard table.
- Amazingly, the material used to make the felt has remained unchanged for over 400 years. Wool is still the main component used for its durability and even threads.
Just keep in mind that our highly experienced staff here at LocalMovers.com stands ready to serve you and your family and to make certain your move ends successfully.